Increasingly, our customers – hospitals, government healthcare systems and retailers – are giving consideration to environmental attributes of products in their procurement decisions.37
Product sustainability is a key priority in Johnson & Johnson’s environmental stewardship strategy. We encourage development of more sustainable products to help make the places we live, work and sell our products healthier by using fewer, smarter resources. Our approach is based on science and a lifecycle view of product impacts – from discovery and design, raw material sourcing, and manufacturing, to product use and end of life. This includes a range of activities:
- Assessments of products at the design phase to identify and quantify potential environmental risks;
- Selecting and using more sustainable ingredients;
- Lifecycle assessments (LCAs) of products through our in-house-developed LCA tools to identify environmental impacts and opportunities for improvements;
- Applying green chemistry principles in design and manufacturing;
- Advancing sustainable packaging;
- Controlling product-end-of life impacts, including the effects of pharmaceuticals and personal care products in the environment.
Our global environmental product stewardship team, which is part of the Environmental Health, Safety & Sustainability organization, leads the enterprise-wide efforts to evaluate, control and reduce the environmental footprint of our products across our Consumer, Medical Devices and Pharmaceutical businesses. They work in partnership with R&D, supply chain and marketing teams in each segment to embed product sustainability in our product innovation processes. They also partner with our customers, governments, and advocacy and industry groups to share and exchange best practices and shape responsible science-based product stewardship policies across the world.