Our planet is facing unprecedented environmental challenges, including climate change, water scarcity, degradation of ecosystems, and natural resources depletion. According to the World Economic Forum's The Global Risks Report 2019, for the third year in a row the environment-related risks are among the greatest concerns by likelihood and impact raised by experts.37
As a global manufacturer, we recognize our role in helping to conserve and protect natural resources. As a leader in the healthcare industry, we know that human health is inextricably linked to the health of the planet—we can’t have healthy people and communities without a healthy environment. To this end, we are committed to marshaling our expertise, resources and partnerships to reduce the environmental footprint of our operations, our products and our extended supply chain, while delivering Better Health for All.
Our performance reflects decades of proactive environmental stewardship, guided by Our Credo which states: “We must maintain in good order the property we are privileged to use, protecting the environment and natural resources.” Our approach is based on:
- Optimizing our operations by improving water and energy efficiency and reducing our waste footprint;
- Reducing lifecycle impacts of our products and solutions by focusing on sustainable design, material use efficiency, reduction in product packaging, and managing product end-of-life impacts;
- Encouraging our suppliers to make environmental improvements in their own businesses and respective supply chains;
- Partnering with stakeholders to influence change on a broader scale beyond our own operations.
Key Achievements in 2018
- Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. joined the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment.
- Earned a place on CDP’s Climate Change A List among companies demonstrating global leadership on corporate climate action.
- Executed our first long-term “Green Tariff” agreement to power a portion of our manufacturing operations in the state of Georgia, U.S., from a new utility-scale solar installation.
- Expanded on-site renewable energy generation capacity by commissioning our fourth wind turbine in Ireland.
Areas of Opportunity
- Continue to establish Johnson & Johnson as a leader in addressing the link between the environment and human health through advocacy efforts, innovative partnerships and supporting academic research.
- Further enhance supplier engagement programs to encourage suppliers to reduce their GHG emissions associated with our purchased goods and services.
- Identify short- and long-term actions against each of the four targets outlined in the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment.
- Identify new opportunities to advance circular economy models in emerging markets where waste and recycling infrastructure is limited.
In November 2018, our Chairman and CEO Alex Gorsky took the #EmbracingSustainability Challenge as part of a new campaign at Business Roundtable, an association of CEOs from America's top companies, inviting America's top CEOs to share how they are helping improve the health of the environment. Rising to the challenge, Alex shared how important environmental stewardship is for Johnson & Johnson and for us all. Watch the video.