Product sustainability is a priority in Johnson & Johnson’s environmental stewardship strategy. We are committed to the development of more sustainable products that contribute to a healthier planet. Our approach is based on science and a lifecycle accountability for product impacts—from discovery and design, raw material sourcing and manufacturing to product use and end of life.
Our commitment to product sustainability includes the following:
- Including sustainability considerations at the design phase to identify and quantify potential environmental risks;
- Selecting and sourcing more sustainable ingredients;
- Assessing lifecycle environmental impacts of our product categories to identify opportunities for improvement;
- Applying green chemistry and engineering principles in design and manufacturing;
- Taking a more sustainable approach to packaging;
- Managing product end-of life impacts, including the effects of pharmaceuticals and personal care products in the environment.
Our global environmental product stewardship team, which is part of our Environmental Health, Safety & Sustainability organization, leads our product sustainability focus across our consumer, medical devices and pharmaceutical businesses, connecting with our R&D, supply chain and marketing teams to embed sustainable principles into our product innovation processes. They also partner with our customers, governments, advocacy and industry groups to share best practices and shape responsible, science-based product stewardship policies across the world.